As a part of our Therapeutic Massage Program, we offer massage to the public in order to provide students with hands-on experience in working with a diverse population in a clinical environment. This gives the students the practical experience they need while giving the public a great way to receive a massage at a student rate.
The Student Clinic is a teaching environment. At least one of our highly qualified instructors (who are licensed massage therapists) are always on-hand to supervise the student clinic. The massage and bodywork provided is intended to relieve muscle tension, promote relaxation and create a general feeling of well-being. Students will provide a focused session incorporating different modalities and techniques learned in the classroom. After you are finished with your massage, you will need to fill out a feedback form that assists the student in their learning and growing process.
the ITMB Student Clinic sessions are special in many ways:
- We make sure that the session you are booked for is what you get – an hour session is 60 minutes long, not 48-50 minutes.
- Students are not rushing around from session to session. Appointments are spaced out, so that there is ample time to redress the table, document the session, and relax before the next session.
- The ITMB Student Clinic is also unique in that there is no set required fee. Massage in the student clinic is by donation – it is not intended as an income stream for the Institute for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork. There will be a donation basket on the desk in the entry way for clinic recipients to give a donation from their heart. Student session donations will go to enriching the operations of the school. (Many people ask what is an appropriate donation to give for the massage and it really is up to you but most people give $20-$50.)
The intention of the student clinic is to acclimate the student to working on multiple individuals in one day, experiencing different body styles, and simulating professional communication and documentation in a controlled and supervised environment. The students will be in charge of finding suitable clients, but some times we may need the extra bodies – that’s where you can help. If you are in good health, would like to get a good massage, help support the next generation of massage therapists, all for a donation, not a price – please let us know! We will contact you and potentially schedule you on a first come, first served basis – subject to staff approval and clinical availability. We do have a few guidelines:
- You need to be 18 or older;
- You need to be healthy – no chronic issues, such as pain, fatigue; be free of conditions you need to have treated for by a medical professional; and not present any contraindications for massage. These are student clinic massages – relaxation and basic muscle tension only;
- These appointments are in our classroom with room dividers;
- You will be professionally draped (professional lingo for covered with a sheet and blanket) to protect your personal modesty. Sexual body areas will not be addressed.
- One or more of our instructors may observe the student give you a massage at any time, and the student may ask them for help or guidance at any time during your session.
- You may choose to tip your student, but honestly – if you really like the massage – become their client when they graduate. PA state code allows them to receive a ‘nominal’ gratuity. You’ll get an email when they establish a practice so you’ll be able to find them!
- You are signing up for the potential opportunity to participate in the student clinic – this is not a guarantee that you will get the chance to lend a hand. The staff and students have first dibs on filling the student clinic spots.
- We reserve the right to deny anyone service for any reason.
So, if you think you would like to help the Institute for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork’s future graduates, get a great massage for a donation instead of a fee, and would like the chance to experience massage at ITMB, please drop us a line at Michael@MassageSchoolPA.com to apply to be a participant!